Friday, March 4, 2011

Contractor Chronicles Chapter 2


Chapter 2

It is the day before Isabelle and Matt leave to start the book tour.  Matt is spending the day with his best friend Charlie, and Charlie’s wife Hanna.
 Matt and Charlie are spending the day fishing. They have been fishing together since they were in elementary school. Charlie has a pond on his land and a bass boat that they took out when they wanted to relax and talk. Today was different then the other times they took the boat out because the conversation was going to be a bit more heated then usual. They were best friends and always will be. No conversation was off limits and that included Charlie’s concern with how much Matt cared about Isabelle. He feels Matt is acting like nothing is going on but being best friends since grade school Charlie knew better. “Matt are you ready for the book tour?” Charlie asked with a bit of concern in his voice.
“What’s to get ready for Isabelle has it under control. I simply have to show up and answer a few questions. She is the one that will be reading from the book.” Matt answered with a bit of anxiety slipping out of his mouth.
“That’s not what I am concerned about. I am concerned about your feelings toward her. She is like no other woman you have ever been with. She is fragile.” Charlie said sounding like he might be crossing the line a bit but felt it was necessarry to voice his concern.
“Don’t you think I know that!” Matt shouted in response. “The last thing I want to do is hurt her. I am not the same guy I was 5 years ago. I thought you knew that.” Came out of Matt's mouth with his eyes now glaring at his best friend. 
“I do" was Charlie's response. But you are only human and in the past discipline wasn’t your strongest asset. You have never been in a situation like this before and I don’t want anyone to get hurt.”
“Nobody will get hurt, I promise” Matt told Charlie sounding a litle more subdued. Charlie wanted to believe his best friend since Matt truly believed what he was saying. There wasn’t anything Charlie could do but be there to pick up the pieces when Isabelle, Matt, or both of them end up with broken hearts. From what Matt has told Charlie Isabelle truly wants a child. As much fun as they are having working together on the book Charlie believes the distraction won’t last forever. He prays he is wrong. More then anything Charlie wants his best friend to be happy.

 The boys ended their fishing outting with a success. They caught more then a few bass. If Hanna, Charlie’s beautiful wife with gorgeous red hair wasn't already preparing Matt’s favorite meal, spaghetti and meatballs, bass would have been on the menu.
They sat down to dinner when Hanna asked Matt what he will be wearing on the tour.
Matt’s response, “Blue jeans with long sleeve oxford button down shirts. Isabelle took me shopping as her publisher didn’t trust me to dress myself nor did she I was told.
“Good,” said Hannah, either did I.”

No comments: