Wednesday, January 12, 2011

teachers and or mentors

I want to discuss how a chance meeting could change your life. My question to you is this; Do you or did you have a mentor in your life that guided you in the direction you needed to go? If not there is still time as long as you are open to the possibility. In my case it was the summer of 1995 about 15 years ago when I started my first business called Create A Party Unlimited, a children’s party service. I needed to find a place that created flyers and went looking for a print shop. The first place I went didn’t have what I was looking for. The second place I went was a complete surprise to me. Before I realized what I was doing I was parked in the parking lot of Kinko’s and exiting my car. I didn’t remember pulling in. This is a true story, stay with me. When I walked into Kinko’s I was directed to the desktop publishing area and met the man that would change my life. His name is Mike and before he started working at Kinko’s he worked at the place I initially went earlier that day.  If he were still working at my initial stop I would have never ended up in the parking lot of Kinko’s because it wasn’t the place I needed, but unbeknownst to me, the person. Whatever you refer to as a higher power I believe that day I was being guiding in the direction I needed to go without me ever knowing. I realized overtime how the events of that day changed my life. I call it fate, others may call it a coincidence. I believe there are occasions when we don't or won’t ever know the reasons why certain things happen but the lessons they teach us is what does. My mentor / catalyst Mike is how I refer to him was in my life for about 3 years. We went our separate ways because I learned what I needed to learn and somehow know I will see him again and it will be like the first day we met. Pay attention to the people in your life because you never know what you can learn from them or them from you.

No comments: